SEEK.com.au is the largest and undisputed market leading jobs board in Australia with millions of visitors per month.
I worked closely with SEEK Learning to provide SEO insights, recommendations and ongoing support to help launch a new career guide product that went from zero visits to being #1 in organic market share in just over a year.
This was achieved by using competitor analysis and keyword research to guide site structure and prioritise content creation as well as ongoing SEO consultation.
- Launch a ‘career guide’ product with thousands of roles, helping guide people to informed career choices
- Drive organic growth through ranking for role related keywords
- Become the market leading career guide in Australia (spoiler – it is now)
Finding unbiased career information is hard. The SEEK Career Guide team aimed to solve this problem at scale. SEO was a key part of connecting with that audience when searching to gain insight into roles that they aspire to be employed in.
Like most things organic, initial growth was slow but steady. This growth has continued over the years to now be a leading traffic source outside of SEEK Jobs traffic, generating millions of visits.
I closely monitored market share to understand how our efforts were impacting both SEEK’s and Competitors’ overall visibility.
Within 11 months of launch date we overtook the secondary competitor target (yellow) to become #2 in market. 3 months later we (blue) had overtaken the market leader (red) to become #1.
Don’t just take my word for it
“The insight gained from Gloyns Consulting informed our strategic roadmap to grow our audience, and provided us with an approach on how we should tailor our customer experience to balance acquisition and usability.
Andrew also assisted in the execution and can engage with stakeholders at all levels, from influencing key decision-makers, to assisting software developers navigate the complexity of SEO development. Andrew is a pleasure to work with and integrated seamlessly into our team over the course of our engagement.”Franco Trimboli – Head of Product, SEEK Learning
How we did it
This growth is primarily achieved by the quality of the product the SEEK team delivered.
SEO assisted via a traffic driven organic strategy focusing on delivering meaningful and actionable insights to enable fast, sustainable growth through data, content and tech.
- The first step was to conduct competitor and keyword research. I reverse engineered which pages and keywords were driving the most traffic to competitors which identified the most popular roles Australia’s were searching for.
- This keyword data was collated with proprietary SEEK data to provide the team with a shortlist of roles to prioritise content creation based on demand both externally and to SEEK users.
- Insights were delivered on how to best structure the layout and content for optimum performance in organic search results. These were considered and integrated by UX and content where a balance could be achieved.
- Working closely with the internal product, UX and development teams at SEEK, the new ‘Career Guide’ product was built through iterative design and development with extensive User, SEO & Accessibility testing.
- The site was built with scale in mind. Every facet of SEO implementation was designed to facilitate fast and accurate scale to enable expansion of the site for a larger audience. It also meant I didn’t have to keep annoying the dev team when I needed to change or add something :p
I really enjoy working with the SEEK Learning team on this product. It’s satisfying to contribute to a product that helps so many people make better career decisions every day.